Download PDFThe art of bringing people together, face-to-face or remotely, to elicit requirements, make decisions, and gain consensus on solutions is a critical success factor for teams. This course offers facilitation skills training that can be used for structured requirement workshops and facilitating a small informal group to a decision. This course goes beyond traditional facilitation training by focusing on facilitation techniques specific to gaining a shared understanding of requirements in person or with remote participants. Five job aids are provided as valuable after class resources as participants begin preparing and conducting their facilitated sessions.
- Facilitate using proven techniques for eliciting detailed business, functional and non-functional requirements
- Identify when and how to use each technique
- Develop confidence and a skill set to conduct requirements workshops, whether face-to-face or with remote participants
- Actively practice learned skills and techniques
- Use a requirements planning session template
- Prepare the participants for the requirements session
- Perform each facilitation role through role playing each session
- Conduct the session to stay focused on the core requirement that was planned as a deliverable
- Select which facilitation technique to use for each core requirement being gathered
- Complete checklists for managing and conducting the session
- Facilitate a requirements workshop including remote participants (if desired)
Facilitation Skills Class Experience
Students will spend 60% of class time participating in interactive, real-world business case studies and performing each key role in at least one session. Each student will have the opportunity to practice facilitating multiple requirements sessions in a “safe” environment with personalized feedback.
The workshops in this course require students to plan the requirements workshop, develop the correct questions to ask the group, and facilitate the group to a consensus on the requirements using one of the learned techniques. This course supports and expands on the techniques in the IIBA BABOK® Guide.