Download PDFThe art of bringing people together, face-to-face or remotely, to elicit requirements, make decisions, and gain consensus on solutions is a critical success factor for teams. This course offers facilitation skills training that can be used for structured requirement workshops and facilitating a small informal group to a decision. This course goes beyond traditional facilitation training by focusing on facilitation techniques specific to gaining a shared understanding of requirements in person or with remote participants. Five job aids are provided as valuable after class resources as participants begin preparing and conducting their facilitated sessions.
Facilitation Skills Classroom Experience
Students will spend 60% of class time participating in interactive, real-world business case studies and performing each key role in at least one session. Each student will have the opportunity to practice facilitating multiple requirements sessions in a “safe” environment with personalized feedback.
The workshops in this course require students to plan the requirements workshop, develop the correct questions to ask the group, and facilitate the group to a consensus on the requirements using one of the learned techniques. This course supports and expands on the techniques in the IIBA BABOK® Guide and the ICAgile’s Agile Value Management track.
- Facilitate using proven techniques for eliciting detailed business, functional and non-functional requirements
- Identify when and how to use each technique
- Develop confidence and a skill set to conduct requirements workshops, whether face-to-face or with remote participants
- Actively practice learned skills and techniques
- Use a requirements planning session template
- Prepare the participants for the requirements session
- Perform each facilitation role through role playing each session
- Conduct the session to stay focused on the core requirement that was planned as a deliverable
- Select which facilitation technique to use for each core requirement being gathered
- Complete checklists for managing and conducting the session
- Facilitate a requirements workshop including remote participants (if desired)