Download PDFThe business analyst skills covered in this course are applicable whether analysis is performed in an agile or more traditional plan-driven approach. This is the perfect course for those new to business analysis, to level set analysts across the organization, or for senior analysts needing to refresh their business analyst skill set. It supports the IIBA BABOK industry standards and PMI’s PBA certification and is an excellent class for individuals seeking the ECBA or other certifications.
Business Analyst Skills
See our listing for descriptions on each business analyst skill area shown in this diagram.
- Define business analysis and requirements
- Elicit requirements from stakeholders using a variety of effective techniques
- Practice creative thinking skills to engage stakeholders, uncover needs, and identify new approaches and ideas
- Compare and contrast analysis techniques in order to select the technique(s) that will most appropriately:
- support your understanding, critical thinking and problem solving
- communicate information to stakeholders to enable review and their understanding of requirements
- Reduce confusion and development errors by creating excellent requirements that can be easily understood by outsourced or distributed teams
- Get the most out of your models and diagrams by asking the right questions during analysis
- Identify why the project is being done (business drivers) in order to ensure the right analysis effort is being performed and so that requirements efforts can be appropriately prioritized
- Create a context data flow diagram to identify interfaces, data flows, and high-level processes associated with the project, that is valuable both for planning and communications purposes
- Discuss strategies for content organization and collaboration, and describe why being more organized increases team agility
- Practice creating an analysis approach to make the most efficient use of elicitation and analysis techniques
- Learn to address common barriers that face project teams
Is this course for you?
Not sure if this course is a good fit for your needs? Take our self-assessment!
Highly interactive exercises provide students opportunities to practice and reinforce techniques during class. Regardless of the participant’s skill level, the workshop cases and discussions inspire learning insights for every level of experience.
Students are encouraged to bring projects into class for exercises and to develop a more personalized post-class action plan to take their project to the next step. This class also includes our Make Learning Stick program to ensure the knowledge gained in class is converted to long term memory.