As I talk to folks about anything and everything related to the world of a BA there seems to be different point of views about requirements and solution sign-off. I often hear that SME’s don’t want to “sign-off” on the requirements because they may change their mind. Sign-off has become this dreaded milestone. In many instances, sign-off is not the problem, but the symptom of something much worse. The business and the IT solution team are not in sync. Much of this is due to poor requirements management. In my opinion, to help resolve the issue you need sign-off.
When I think of “sign-off” I do not only think of a physical signature on a large requirements package. Depending on the project and the milestone, sign-off can be a thumbs up, an email, a physical or electronic signature on a document, and everything in between.
There is a critical reason for sign-offs throughout the project lifecycle. At different stages of a project you need to take the opportunity to ensure you are headed in the right direction. As an excellent Business Analyst you should constantly be verifying with your stakeholders that you understand the scope, business requirements, functional requirements, etc. In addition, you need to make certain the solution team has enough information to deliver the best solution.
To be successful, you need to facilitate the process of delivering a quality solution to your customer. Getting sign-offs of any flavor will help.
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 17: Back to Business Analysis Basics - September 13, 2016