“How do I get a junior level BA position?” This question is one I get often from individuals looking to become Business Analysts. Unfortunately, there is no magic pill and the path may be different for everyone. Here is the advice I have for those looking to become Business Analysts.
- Network: You need to start meeting BAs or people that hire BAs. Join your local IIBA chapter. Being part of a BA professional organization lets people know you are passionate about the role. Talk to recruiters that place BAs. Let everyone who will listen know that you want to be a BA. You’ll begin to understand what companies are looking for in a Business Analyst. You’ll also see which companies are dedicated to the role. Those are the ones you want to pursue.
- Rework your resume: I can almost guarantee that even if you have never had the title of a Business Analyst, or something close, you have performed tasks and used techniques required of a BA. Highlight the BA type skills you have on your resume.
- Get educated: There are many ways to accomplish this. You can read books, find a BA mentor, attend IIBA meetings, or find a training provider that will meet your needs.
- Look at your current company first: A great way to make a transition into a BA role is within your current company. Let your manager know that you are interested in making a move and hopefully your manager will work with you to get the right opportunities. This is how I broke into the role. I was a SME for years before I became a Business Analyst.
I would love to hear how you broke into the role and any advice you may have for others.
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 17: Back to Business Analysis Basics - September 13, 2016