Download PDFAs in any business, agile organizations must ensure profitability, compliance, and traceability. Agile is a powerful framework, but if it is not delivering value, why use it? Organizations need qualitative and quantitative measurements to ensure expectations are being properly satisfied. Agile KPIs should not only measure if you are delivering business value, but also maintaining a healthy team based on a reasonable capacity load.
However, in a framework that is grounded by flexibility and not being locked down by processes, measuring its success can sometimes be a challenge, especially when compared to traditional top-down, ROI-type metrics. The bottom-up structure of agile requires a different means of measurement, one that places value on what drives your priorities. Furthermore, the measurement framework must be based on agile tools, such as story points, the backlog and business value.
This class includes lessons on developing the right metrics and KPIs within Kanban, Scrum and/or Scaled Agile environments, such as SAFe. Students will learn to architect and measure success for their organization by taking a specific agile organizational scenario from start to finish. Leave class with a framework to take back and use within your specific organization!
After attending this course, students should be able to:
- Identify “key” metrics (KPIs) within your Portfolio, Program, and/or Team
- Create a normalized KPI foundation based on story and business value points
- Understand traceability across various levels of KPIs
- Ensure that their KPIs are valid and valuable
- Understand how NOT to skew, misunderstand, and misinterpret agile metrics
- Ensure the metrics support a healthy backlog and healthy management of team capacity
- Design an executive dashboard at a Portfolio level
- Develop feature burndown charts using business value metrics at the Team and Program level
- Understand how to help portfolio and program management make better long-term decisions
- Best keep management informed about team capacity and progress
- Provide the right level of detail to the right audience