CBAP, CCBA and ECBA
The International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA®) is an independent non-profit professional association serving the growing field of business analysis. B2T Training is a charter member and an endorsed education provider.
As of September 30, 2016 the IIBA launched their new BA Competency-Based Certification Framework. This new framework includes 3 levels of IIBA certification: Entry Certificate in Business Analysis (ECBA™), Certification of Competency in Business Analysis (CCBA®), and Certified Business Analysis Professional (CBAP®). These certifications are based on the standards within their body of knowledge: A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge, v3 (BABOK®).
- Level 1: ECBA, Entry Certificate in Business Analysis
- Recognizes entry-level BA Professionals, and is exam based.
- For help, get our ECBA Certification Prep.
- Level 2: CCBA, Certificate of Capability in Business Analysis
- Recognizes BA Professionals who have 2-3 years of business analysis experience. Level 2 requires between 3,000 – 4,500 hours of experience and is exam based.
- Level 3: CBAP, Certified Business Analysis Professional
- Recognizes BA Professionals who manage and leave with over 5 years of business analysis experience. Level 3 requires between 7,500 – 10,500 hours of experience and is also exam based.
Current IIBA Certification Requirements
B2T Training provides training covers the breadth of the BABOK® and prepares you for any of the exams. The main difference in the certifications is the work experience required. Please see chart below for the criteria to complete the exams.
|No required work experience||Minimum 3750 hours of business analysis work experience aligned with the BABOK Guide in the last seven years||Minimum 7500 hours of business analysis work experience aligned with the BABOK Guide in the last 10 years|
|No minimum work hours||Minimum 900 hours in two of the six knowledge areas or 500 hours in four of the six knowledge areas||Minimum 900 hours in four of the six knowledge areas|
|Minimum 21 hours of Professional Development in the past four years||Minimum 21 hours of Professional Development in the past four years||Minimum 35 hours of Professional Development in the past four years|
|No references needed||Two references from a career manager, client or CBAP recipient||Two references from a career manager, client or CBAP recipient|
|Signed Code of Conduct||Signed Code of Conduct||Signed Code of Conduct|
|$60 Application Fee||$125 Application Fee||$125 Application Fee|
|$110 Exam Fee for Members ($235 for Non-Members)||$325 Exam Fee for Members ($450 for Non-Members)||$325 Exam Fee for Members ($450 for Non-Members)|
|IIBA Handbook||IIBA Handbook||IIBA Handbook|
Along with the release of the ECBA level of certification, the IIBA updated CCBA and CBAP exams to reflect BABOK v.3. If you were certified under a previous version of the BABOK, you are grandfathered in and do not need to re-take the exam.
See the Exam Blueprint on the IIBA website for details on the percent of questions from each key area of business analysis knowledge area. For more information and specific/up to date requirements, please visit their website at iiba.org.
Listed below are the recommended B2T classes for those individuals interested in gaining the knowledge required for becoming a business analysis professional and achieving either the ECBA™, CCBA® or CBAP®.
- Essential Skills for Business Analysis
- Business Process Analysis
- Detailing Business Data Requirements
- Use Case Modeling and Solution Requirements
- Developing a Business Analysis Work Plan
- Facilitating a Requirements Workshop
- Agile Analysis Boot Camp
Coming Soon! Level 4 Certification
This 4th level of certification is the CBATL, Certified Business Analysis Thought Leader and it will “recognize industry though leaders and those who are giving back to the community. Level 4 will require a minimum of 10 years’ experience and will be assessment based.”
This new certification level will be available in the future. We will update this page as we find out more in the coming months.