The main program at July’s Greater Atlanta IIBA chapter meeting was about User Flow Diagrams. The presenter was Carol Kilpatrick, modeling and design specialist, from Delta Technology. She gave a great presentation on how she documents work flow diagrams to focus on user actions. There were two points Carol made that apply to all documents we produce as Business Analysts.
1) Use a consistent format. By using a consistent format the readers of the deliverables become familiar with the document. This allows the reader to focus on the message of the document and not the format. When there are multiple BAs working with the same project team and business stakeholders it is even more important. You want the reader to focus on what is being communicated, not how you are communicating.
2) Produce drafts quickly and have them reviewed. By having your documents reviewed early and often you get instant feedback on the accuracy and completeness of your document. There is a risk here. You can be viewed as presenting incomplete documents. Make sure your reader is aware it is an early draft to make sure you are on the right track.
The main reason for consistency and reviews is to help ensure we have elicited and documented clear and complete requirements. Please share your tips on how we can get to clear and complete requirements!
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 27: Remote Agile Team Success - March 23, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016