Recently, we have been focusing on the topic of critical thinking and I was reminded of a blog that I wrote for BATimes a couple years ago. Critical thinking is something that people ask us about all the time, “I need my BAs to learn how to think critically.” What most people don’t realize is that doing business analysis is critically thinking! The process of analyzing complex situations and breaking them down into manageable chunks is critically thinking. Planning how you will elicit information from a group and help them come to a decisions is critical thinking.
While some people might not know the specific techniques needed to perform these analysis tasks, anyone can be taught (ask me about our Essential Skills for Business Analysis course!). But how do you know that the BAs on your team can apply those techniques to effectively reach your goal? In this blog entry I talk about a question to ask candidate BAs to see if they critically think. You can also use this question for yourself and other team members.
I hope you enjoy.
Please visit BusinessAnalystTimes for a printable version of this blog post. Thank you.
All the best
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 17: Back to Business Analysis Basics - September 13, 2016