Start with the art of the one-on-one encounter; add in strategies for interviewing, maximizing meetings and presentations; then finish off with making the most of social interactions. All together you get How to Wow: Proven Strategies for Presenting Your Ideas, Persuading Your Audience, and Perfecting Your Image, a resource to help you succeed in any situation. You can read the book cover to cover (like I did) or jump to the chapters that apply to you. With either approach it is one of those books you’ll keep in your library and reference for some time to come.
In How to Wow, Frances Cole Jones covers some oldies but goodies like reminding us that 7% of your impact comes from the words you say, 38% from your tone and 55% from body language. Jones also packs in a number of invaluable strategies for helping make all meetings and social events successful. I found one technique priceless – writing a diary entry as if it were tomorrow. If you have an important meeting or event coming up, write down details of the event as if it had already happened. This technique helps you think through potential scenarios and prepare for the meeting or event. This is similar to the Field of Dreams mantra, “If you build it they will come.” If you write it down it will happen.
Jones’ conversational writing style makes this a fun and easy read. I felt like I was her long time friend and she was just giving me some good sound advice over coffee. She pulls many of her thoughts from her vast library of experience working with executives preparing for TV and print interviews and large scale company meetings. Although many of her examples may not directly align with your role, you will not find it hard to bridge the gap and find ways to implement her strategies.
Whether you facilitate meetings or just attend them, host lunch meetings or just get invited to lunch, present to large groups or just one person, you’ll find significant value in reading How to Wow.
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 17: Back to Business Analysis Basics - September 13, 2016