Throughout my career, I have loved mentoring others. It is a rewarding experience and I have practiced it in a formal way with being matched to person who wanted to be mentored. Following a structured schedule I have practiced mentoring in an informal way, where the meetings happened less on a prescribed schedule and more when the need arose.
I recently engaged our IIBA Chapter in finding a CBAP Exam study group. I filled out the form, and found the question; ‘Would you be willing to lead the study group?’ This was very interesting as I was looking to attend a study group! I looked at this as another way of mentoring – although I am a bit uneasy about the mentoring I can do in this instance. Then I began to think, can I use the potential of being a study group leader to practice what I have been studying? I replied yes, and started to look around to see what other Chapters do in this instance. It seems to be a well-accepted practice to have one of the study group members lead at least a chapter of study.
Next – can I look at this as a mini-project with a business need and a defined outcome? I got started.
- How would I plan for this effort? What approach would I follow?
- Does our Chapter have a standard approach to a Study Group? A process they follow? Will it need to be adapted for this group?
- Who are my stakeholders? What roles would they have? How would I communicate with them?
- Is there a defined Business need? With a desired outcome? Clearly I need to do some investigation!
I hope you get the point. Something that is as small as being a Chapter or Study Group lead, for our IIBA Chapter, deserves to be thought about and treated as a project, with a defined business need and a desired outcome. A BA Plan can only help it to be a better experience for all! This is not a mentoring activity – but a BA activity and provides me a chance to use the BABOK as a study tool for planning this activity.
- Professionals Who Mean Well, but Cause Unhappy Customers – What to do? - March 20, 2015
- CBAP Application Form – Rambling On - March 20, 2015
- What a Month! - March 20, 2015
- What is a RACI? - March 11, 2015
- A Mentoring Opportunity or a Studying Opportunity? - March 4, 2015