Day 2 – Pre Conference Workshop
I got a chance to meet Scott Ambler, another thought leader who spoke about agile development. He is a prolific writer and practice leader of iterative and agile development. His teaching technique is to make controversial statements to incite you to think. It worked on me. I got worked up about a couple of his comments. I was motivated to speak up several times about the role of a BA and how it aligns well with the principles he discussed. I am still not sure whether he appreciates the BA role.
He is quite vocal that development does not need business analysts as a bottle neck between the developer and the business stakeholders. He maintains a go-between between adults is not necessary and can deter efficient and effective development. Believe it or not, most points that Mr. Ambler made are again the same principles we teach our business analysts. He reinforced the fact that to be successful in agile you need to know multiple techniques, be skilled to wear multiple hats, model and document only what is necessary and useful, and plan before you start working. He just never admitted that he knew BAs follow these same principles. Luckily the principles of agile development are not really new and have tested long before the "agile" name was coined. BAs can be a great asset to an agile project. I attended other sessions but these two pre-conference presentations were highlights for me and kept me thinking what a great time it is to be a business analyst! BAs rule at the conference!
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 26: Are BAs Becoming Obsolete? - February 28, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 25: State of Agile - February 7, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 24: An Agile Mindset - January 27, 2017
- A Monthly Guide to Becoming a Better Business Analysis Professional - January 11, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 22: Business Analysis in 2017 - January 10, 2017
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 21: Business Analysis in 2016 - December 8, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 20: Effectively Give and Receive Feedback - November 15, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 19: Live from #BBCCon - November 3, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 18: More Business Analysis Basics - October 4, 2016
- #AskAnAnalyst Podcast Episode 17: Back to Business Analysis Basics - September 13, 2016